20 May 2012

a real tribute.



I love my job.  Despite the ups and downs and incredible pain I've felt and soul searching I do on a regular basis as a result, I love the people I work with.  Yes, the staff.  But as much and more the patients and their families. I've been asked so many times about how can I do what I do, and while some may ask me with some sense of admiration-- I do think some people see me as less compassionate/ sympathetic than the bulk of humanity to tolerate seeing some of the things I've seen.  Perhaps it's true, but the soul searching bit mentioned above isn't just a figure of speech.  It's not like I go unaffected.  And there is too much to be said of the millions of thoughts and the scarce conclusions I've reached in the last 6 years to go into during this quick blog post.

Nevertheless, Chris Rumble at Seattle Children's Hospital captured something for me that is absolutely inspiring.  It was so familiar, every clip and piece of the music video made sense to me and when I watch it I feel the excitement you feel when you see places you've been that have some deeper meaning to you.  Something like when I see pictures of London and Sweden, or Logan and Cache Valley.  I watched this video for the first time with SB and I kept saying:  "this is what I do.  this is it. I've so been there."  Last night, even: I was there.  My body is still trying to recuperate because from 7 last night till 7 this morning, I was  there.  And while I know it seems jaded to some, for some reason my heart is full for having been there.  

  The nurse chasing the kid on the bike-thingy with the IV pole trying to keep up.  That's it. The kids are so resilient, the families are so strong, and the nurses just get to be there.  If there are chosen souls, I am convinced I've met a large population of them.  And knowing chosen souls is a very motivating, inspiring, sacred experience. And if not how, that's why I do it.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. That kid who starts the chorus was so stinkin cute and just made my life. You are amazing! And you could be a hipster. In fact, you could LEAD the hipsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're amazing to not only do what you do, but love it so much. If anything I've always thought you have MORE compassion and sympathy and love and kindness and I've prayed to be more like you.

    I miss you, it's good to hear your voice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not going to lie, I like when you leave a comment.