06 March 2011

The Lucky Streak: Days 4, 5 & 6

If you thought I ran out of luck stories, you were wrong.  Just out of time.  So today it's 3-in-1. 

Utah State was good to me.  I loved it.  Go Aggies all the way.  Some of the best friends I've ever known = Ags. 

And some of the greatest luck found me at USU.  SB & I were only there one semester together which is the unluckiest part, but in looking through pictures for this blog post we discovered we really must of known each other-- and even had a conversation way back in the day.  He's not convinced of it, but I am.  Regardless, it seems to have worked out for us.  But I wish he could have been witness to these 3 lucky things in Logan:

Let's Make a Deal ... Senior Year, I don't have the Freshman Year Pictures.


#1.  Let's make a deal.   Freshman year.  Called for 5 volunteers for a pie eating contest.  4 boys and me were selected.  One cream pie in front of each of us.  No hands allowed.  Faces only.  On your mark, get set, go....  And the winner is.... the girl..   Yep, me.   And for it I got to choose curtain one, two, or three.  I don't know what number I chose, but it was lucky.  Because unlike the people who won frogs and rubber chickens, I won a brand new stereo system.  The pie part was pure talent.  But the picking part was a little bit of luck. 
Roommates & I -- not as lucky this year as my first year-- still as much fun, though.


#2. Spelling Bee.  9th place.  Out of the University Academic Week Spelling Bee.  Hundreds entered.  10 made it on stage for the finals.  All 10 won prizes.  I was one of them.  It was lucky.  Seriously.  I mean I am not a spelling idiot, but I rely pretty heavily on wavy red lines under words to know if I spelled it right or not.  But while those around me were getting words like bivouacking, I had to spell business.  The word that put me into the final 10 was receipt.  The person that got out before me had something more along the lines of onomatopoeia.  I had no intentions of even entering the spelling bee.  I think I did it on a dare.  Next thing I knew I was as nervous as a cow at a beef factory standing on stage with people clearly having more intent to win than me.  We drew numbers to see what order we would go in.  I took ninth because somewhere in the first round someone ahead of me misspelled a word before I ever even went.  As I started spelling my final word I felt my face go bright red.  With every letter I said my voice went up in pitch.  I was literally squealing by the time I completed my version of how to spell the word.  Wrong answer.  I was out.  I don't know why I got so nervous for something 45 minutes earlier I wasn't even planning on doing.  But I think it is NOTHING but luck that I took ninth place.
Utah State, hey!  Aggies all the Way... Go Aggies, Go Aggies...
#3.  The Price is Right.  Showcase show-down winner.  So it wasn't with the real Bob Barker, but at the Institute of Religion there were some thousand some-odd people (maybe that's more than were really there, I don't know) but never the less.  My name was picked.  I went through the bidding, the games, the whole deal--- and on to the show down.  And I won.  It was all very lucky.  Probably would have scored some bigger prizes in California at the true P.I.R.   But I got a date night with free passes to dinner, bowling and a dessert, if I recall.  And it was pretty lucky.  I did date 'Bob' for a short stint and everybody wanted to chalk it up to that.  But we very definitely weren't dating when I won-- and he very definitely did not have anything to do with my pure luck.  True story.






4 comments:

  1. You really are the luckiest gal. Love the March luck stories. And your blog is joy for me. Love peeking in your beautiful life.

    Xoxo
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freshman year was the very best, and I DO have photos :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photos of you, that I keep for blackmail. Just in case :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! hey! hey!

    (just wanted to finish the aggie cheer you started)

    (that's some wicked awesome hair you have in the top picture and bob has in the bottom picture. no wonder you two dated)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not going to lie, I like when you leave a comment.