01 March 2011

Lucky Me- Day #1

Alright.  I know I am kind of a new blogger and maybe even missed the blogging craze.  I haven't seen a lot of "tagging" or other fun blogger games taking place lately.  But I have blog-stalked enough to know how this all works.  In November you write all month about the things you are thankful for.  In February you do 2 weeks of posts about things you love.  So I suppose in March you give it 17 days of luck.

Or at least that's my plan.

So without further adieu, I am lucky because:

When Matt and I went on our honeymoon our flight got delayed.  Very, very delayed.  By hours.  They ended up asking for volunteers to fly into another airport and get shuttled into San Francisco where we were supposed to be flying.  We volunteered.

Back-tracking.  When I bought the tickets (yes I planned the honeymoon-- don't be mad, it all worked out great as you are about to find out... and with a 3 week engagement you've got to make everything a team effort).... anyhow, when I bought the tickets I put them on my card of choice, which is how I do almost all of my purchasing.  I had forgotten however, that there was an automatic flight insurance plan associated with that card which made each ticket cost thirty dollars more, so the newlyweds were out 60 bucks more than we thought on honeymoon spending money. 

It all seems very UNlucky until we started reaping the benefits of misfortune. 

For volunteering to fly into another airport they gave us each "Delta Dollars."  Meaning we got a free flight somewhere else (Hawaii, as it turns out)... And flight insurance apparently covers flight delays, up to $250 of spending per person, so you can bet we went hog-wild at the airport (had to be spent during the delay) getting portable DVD players and DVDs, Brookstone blankets and pillows.  Food, candy, cookbooks, magazines, other books.  I can't remember all we redeemed, but $500 in goods-- which only cost us a pre-paid $60.

We felt pretty lucky.




And the best part?  Here I am starting a new life with my husband who I know and love, but didn't know and love like I do now.  I didn't feel any awkwardness being with him, but there was definitely still a newness in it.  We're standing in the terminal waiting to get on our waylaid flight.  In the middle of Salt Lake International Airport he just starts stomping.  And mumbling something under his breath.  Stomp, Stomp, Stomp.  Completely puzzled, I asked him what he was doing.  "Counting our Delta Dollars," he replied,  "... you know, like Mr. Ed." 

I don't know which is more fun.  Getting 800 delta dollars, or getting a husband that counts out his luck like a horse.
Hawaii-- Courtesy of Delta Dollars

2 comments:

  1. How fun! And (amazingly) I don't think I ever heard the full story of how your honeymoon worked out (probably one of those that we meant to catch up on when I was in the thick of MY wedding planning). I love it all. Lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not going to lie, I like when you leave a comment.